Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Soccer Star Number 11

We are entering into a new chapter of our lives.  That of the family with scheduled activities.  We have had it pretty easy up until now.  We had swimming weekly, but other than that just a few things here and there.  I sense that things are changing...

Today Esme started soccer for the first time.  She was so excited to go.  And in case you didn't notice, she really loves pink...
Just a girl and her soccer ball
We were supposed to start a couple of days ago, but there was a huge thunderstorm so practice was cancelled.  This spring it just doesn't seem to want to stop raining!

The first thing that happened when we got to practice was that the girls got their uniforms.  There are four teams.  The Butterflies (Esme's team), The Blue Birds, The Grasshoppers and The Ladybugs.  You can guess what three of the four colors of uniforms would be and you would be right.  While we were driving to practice we tried to guess what color the Butterflies might be.  Aaron and I thought yellow.  You will not be surprised to hear that Esme guessed pink.  We were all wrong.  Somehow Burnt Sienna (????) was not a color I would have ever guessed.
Lovin' soccer!
Oh well, she was happy because she knows that orange is my favorite color. :)  It turns out there are two girls that Esme knows on her team.  Elena and Morgan.  How fun is that?!?

Tonight's practice was a lot of dribbling and playing games that encouraged dribbling.  I can only hope it gets more exciting.  Forty five minutes of dribbling is a lot to watch!  But Esme seemed fine with it.  

As a North Dakotan who had never watched a soccer match until I met my husband, I have a lot to learn.  And today I learned two new terms, the first of many I'm sure.  Dancing on the Ball and Nutmeg-ing, both from Aaron.  The coaches called Dancing on the Ball - Toe Tapping.  I don't know if they had a name for nutmeg-ing.  I will definitely try to get a video of Esme demonstrating.

But for now, here are a few more pictures of our little soccer girl!





I think Esme's going to love soccer.  It's definitely in her blood.  I'm excited to see where she goes with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment