Friday, August 27, 2010

Reading is fun!

Everyone always says "read to your kids".  How many bed time rituals include a book?  Ours does sometimes, but not every night.  There are a lot of nights that we talk, or sing, or go over parts of the face like lips, nose, eyes, etc. and reading gets missed.  At first I was feeling a little bad, but I decided not to worry about it.  Somehow I think she'll grow up to be a reader.

Here's why -
  • Esme has a LOT of books to choose from.  Right now two of her favorites are Yummy Yucky and Ten Tiny Tickles.  She likes to look at them all day long and over and over again!


    • Aaron and I each pretty much ALWAYS have a book going.  I have a pile of books on my side of the bed and often one in the car.  Aaron always has a book by his side of the bed and usually takes it to work with him.  We have boxes of books in the basement just waiting for a bookshelf.  Books are everywhere in our house and reading is definitely a part of our life.
    • Esme is pretty entertained by any and all books.  She likes to play with our books as well as her own.  She will just leaf through them over and over again.  She even likes to take books to bed with her.  No doll (yet) but always a book.
    Apparently she fell asleep while kicking the books out!
    • The other night Aaron and I were sitting out on the deck, each reading a book.  Esme wanted to join us.  So we set her up in her own chair and gave her a book IKEA catalog to "read" (fun pictures and who cares if it gets ripped up!).  She sat  there so good, just like a big girl "reading" her book.
    Yes, it is August and I have a jacket on!
    •  Even when we're in the car, she likes to read.  Today on the way home from daycare, she looked at a catalog the entire time.
    It's a long commute!
    So needless to say, I'm pretty sure Esme's going to be a reader!  I know there's always a fluky chance that she won't like it, but I would be very surprised!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment