Wednesday, January 12, 2011

40 x 40 x 40

I've decided to make two resolutions this year.  Partly because it's a new year and partly because I'll be turning 40 in August.  Normally, I'm not a big resolution person but for whatever reason this year I'm all for it.

Resolution number one is to read 40 books by the time I've turned 40.  I believe there are 32 weeks between the first of the year and my birthday.  I've already finished two books and it's January 12th.  So far so good.  The test will come soon enough though.  I usually do really well for several weeks and read a ton.  However, after that I may not read anything for 2-3 months.  Hopefully I can find enough interesting books to keep me going until August.  I actually think this may be the harder of the two goals.  One of the books in particular that I'd like to read is about 800 pages (more on that when I decide to take it on) and I would imagine that could slow me up quite a bit.  So I'll have to find some lighter reads to keep it balanced.

I guess if push comes to shove, I read "Go Dog Go" and "Ten Little Ladybugs" quite often with Esme. :)  But hopefully I can get 40 "grown up" books!  The first two I've read so far are:

The Girl Who Played With Fire
by Steig Larsson
Overall, I thought it was pretty good.  I got a little lost in all the characters, but I did really like it.  I would say that I liked it as well but not better than his first book.

And
Second Wind: One Woman's Midlife Quest to Run Seven Marathons on Seven Continents
 by Cami Ostman
I LOVED this book.  It definitely made me want to get out there and start running again.  She is a "back of the pack"er and runs at about the same pace I do.  If she can do it, I can get out and do my little runs.  I'm excited to get ready for a couple of races this spring and summer.

My second resolution is to do 40 crunches every single day until I turn 40.  I have been able to keep that up so far pretty easily.  I thought this would be the more difficult of the two resolutions, but 40 crunches is pretty easy to squeeze into a day.  I think I need to up the ante a little bit and make it that I can do 40 "dead bugs" on a BOSU ball.  Now THAT will make it more difficult.  Maybe I could also read a book while I'm doing it for an extra challenge. :)

Next book up is:
Sarah's Key
by Tatiana de Rosnay

No comments:

Post a Comment