Monday, April 4, 2011

Weight Watchers Fruit and Honey Bars

I've been wanting to make these bars for a long time.  They are sort of like a homemade energy bar.
In fact, I've carried the recipe around with me for at least a couple of weeks.  Some of the ingredients are a little tricky to find.  It calls for unsweetened coconut.  This was not to be found at Cub or Target, however I did find it at Whole Foods (can I say how excited I am that one is opening in Minnetonka soon!).  I also found the unsalted pepitas there.  
The rest of the ingredients I either had on hand or was able to get on my normal shopping trip.  There were three adaptations of the recipe offered and I sort of mixed them all up.  Here's the result, I think they turned out pretty good.  4 points plus each.


Fruit and Honey Bars
Serves 20
1/3 cup honey
2 large eggs 
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk
1/2 cup each 
  • shelled unsalted pumpkin seeds, unsweetened shredded coconut, ground flax seed, dried apricots (chopped), dried cranberries
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
2tbsp wheat germ
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350*F. Line a 9" square baking pan with nonstick foil. Beat honey, eggs and salt with a fork in a small bowl until blended. Put the rest of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. 
Add the honey mixture to the dry ingredients and pulse until mixture is slightly moistened. Press dough into baking pan until in is uniformly even. 
Bake until center is set, and edges are lightly browned. Let cool 10 minutes. Using foil, transfer the bar from pan to cutting board. Cut into 20 1 1/2" bars. Let cool completely, peel off foil.
They are pretty good.  Good enough that I had to hide them from myself and ate more of them than I should.  Believe it or not, next time I would make it without the chocolate chips.  They were ok, but not great.  And they should be great to be worth the extra point.  If you leave off the chocolate chips it's 3 points plus.

I will definitely be making different variations of this in the future.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment